Buzzing Noise (08 LS)

Boxxerz

Reaction score
There is a noise coming form what sounds like the front passenger side engine area.
-This noise sounds like a LARGE bee buzzing;

- This noise can ONLY be heard when pressing the gas pedle while driving
-- Giving it gas while in park will NOT produce the noise
-- Letting off the gas while driving STOPS the noise

I have basic knowledge of cars and have just recently (past year or two) started working on my car myself and am trying to keep everything running for as long as possible! (currently 119.2k miles)

My first thought was a wheel bearing or suspension or something was loose or rattling.. However, the only time it can be heard is when you're giving it gas. So I started to think maybe it was an exhaust problem, but if I put it park and try to feed it gas even at 4000RPMS you cannot hear the noise. So I'm as a loss..

Last weekend the noise amplified while I was on accelerating on a highway on ramp. Now when you speed up it almost sounds like a hose popped off and is flopping around when you hit high enough RPMS, but if this was the case, why can you not hear it while in park?

ANY info on what you think it could be, or where/what I should check would be GREATLY appreciated!

-T

Boxxerz

Reaction score
There is a noise coming form what sounds like the front passenger side engine area.
-This noise sounds like a LARGE bee buzzing;

- This noise can ONLY be heard when pressing the gas pedle while driving
-- Giving it gas while in park will NOT produce the noise
-- Letting off the gas while driving STOPS the noise

I have basic knowledge of cars and have just recently (past year or two) started working on my car myself and am trying to keep everything running for as long as possible! (currently 119.2k miles)

My first thought was a wheel bearing or suspension or something was loose or rattling.. However, the only time it can be heard is when you're giving it gas. So I started to think maybe it was an exhaust problem, but if I put it park and try to feed it gas even at 4000RPMS you cannot hear the noise. So I'm as a loss..

Last weekend the noise amplified while I was on accelerating on a highway on ramp. Now when you speed up it almost sounds like a hose popped off and is flopping around when you hit high enough RPMS, but if this was the case, why can you not hear it while in park?

ANY info on what you think it could be, or where/what I should check would be GREATLY appreciated!

-T

looneyshots

Reaction score
In 5 years have you ever found the issue? Just starting to get this exact same problem with 2.4 cobalt. Sounds like it is probably the transmission because it only happens when power is applied to the wheels but I have no knowledge on how to even begin going down that rabbit hole.

jmaurais

Reaction score
Might be a longshot but the inboard joint on the axleshaft is known as the plunge joint; the outboard is known as the constant velocity (or CV) joint. The outboard joint or CV joint makes a clicking sound when giving it gas while rounding a corner. The outboard CV joint diagnosis is very obvious by any competent mechanic.

The inboard plunge joint can sometimes be tricky to diagnose. Definitely not as common as the CV joint but just as important. Signs of a failed inner plunge joint include: A shudder or side-to-side shake during acceleration, clunking when shifting from Drive to Reverse (if automatic), knocking sounds and vibration when driving, especially while accelerating. First thing you want to do is check to see if the rubber boots on both the plunge joint and CV joint are still intact on both axles. They keep the grease in and water/dirt out. There are both a right and left axle shaft going from the transmission to each front wheel.

The front bearing may be the culprit but those are noisier when on a long curve usually more one way then the other depending on whether left or right bearing(s) are bad. Definitely not an "accelerating" or "braking" issue.

Hope this helps...

John

jmaurais

Reaction score
Might be a longshot but the inboard joint on the axleshaft is known as the plunge joint; the outboard is known as the constant velocity (or CV) joint. The outboard joint or CV joint makes a clicking sound when giving it gas while rounding a corner. The outboard CV joint diagnosis is very obvious by any competent mechanic.

The inboard plunge joint can sometimes be tricky to diagnose. Definitely not as common as the CV joint but just as important. Signs of a failed inner plunge joint include: A shudder or side-to-side shake during acceleration, clunking when shifting from Drive to Reverse (if automatic), knocking sounds and vibration when driving, especially while accelerating. First thing you want to do is check to see if the rubber boots on both the plunge joint and CV joint are still intact on both axles. They keep the grease in and water/dirt out. There are both a right and left axle shaft going from the transmission to each front wheel.

The front bearing may be the culprit but those are noisier when on a long curve usually more one way then the other depending on whether left or right bearing(s) are bad. Definitely not an "accelerating" or "braking" issue.

Hope this helps...

John
Just realized this thread is WAY OLD. Hope it helps someone else!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
looneyshots

Latest posts